Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sin upon sins

Last night I was driving, big road, got humps, at night, I was doing 40km/h I think, not too fast, traffic left and right when suddenly I saw a white cat running past in close proximity which I missed but suddenly out came a dog, I think a small dog or maybe a big puppy and I remember "BAM!" but not too much, since I can't brake in full in time or avoid it since I would have hit the cat. I think maybe I got the dog but maybe the dog escaped. Went back home, parked and there was my car, left side front bumper sort of knocked outward and scratched. Quite heavy duty damage for a small dog. So my guess is I did hit that dog. And thinking I had to change the entire bumper I cursed that dog because I can't afford such high expenses. An hour later I calmed down, told my sister who asked me gravely "Is the dog ok?" and I was pissed so basically I cursed the dog again. Another hour later my same sister asked me gravely "You sure it was not some kid?" and I did thought about it; unless it was a 1 foot midget or a baby crawling in the middle of the street with super fast 4 legs, nope. It may not have been a dog but was certainly not some kid, or midget. Moreover, if it was, would the car at my back not chase me down or honk me? No, it was a brown looking big puppy or small dog. At night I wondered about the dog. I rarely use that road to go home but I wanted to go to Pasar Malam. If I had not gone to pasar malam, then I wouldn't have that guilt that I do now. Next day I went to a car shop and asked how much the repair costs; bang back the bumper into place is RM100-00. Ok, sounds ok. I am not going to argue with the cost. Repaint here and there slightly? RM150-00. Wow, expensive but then I am not going to argue with the cost, again. So overall damage? RM250-00 which I can hardly afford since I have other obligations. But better than shelling out thousands to replace the bumper. Fixer said I don't need to replace whole bumper. In fact at night the damage looked vast but in the morning, it looked slight, but still not that slight. I can only get it repaired on Saturday so for the next few days, my car will bear the guilty look. Anyway the guy also asked me "What happened to the dog?" and frankly I do not know. Came the next sensible question; "You couldn't avoid?" and I said frankly "If I avoided the dog, I would have hit the cat. If I didn't hit the cat, I would have hit the car next lane. If I stopped, the car at the back may or may not brake in time" which in other words, hitting the dog was a small price to pay compared to the bigger cost of the car behind, opposite lane and god forbid, the cat. All I can remember is the dog was either chasing the cat or was inexperienced in crossing the road. Routinely I saw dead dogs by the side of the roads elsewhere, but I never knew the impact could have caused such damage to my front bumper, again a slight damage but still a damage that requires RM250-00 to fix. Just now I was again thinking about the dog and I doubted myself; "OMG, maybe it was a kid?!" but again the reaction of fellow road users tell me it wasn't a kid. And my eyes told me it was a brown big puppy or small brown dog. Should I have hit the cat instead? Maybe less damage. Should I feel sorry for the dog? My car looks in a slight sorry state. Frankly, if you ask me, deep down, I don't feel sorry for the dog. I felt sorry for my wallet. Everytime something good happens, like some extra cash or something, something terrible happens, mostly to my car. Only this time, it involves a life. Yes, a dog is a life even if a lesser life since no one cares, except for my sister and the fixer who asked "Is the dog ok?"

Frankly I hope he is not. Because I feel like hunting down the dog and skin him alive. Aside from evil thoughts, seriously though, I never knew there can be such an impact. RM250-00, gone. But you know thank god it wasn't a child. Stupid stupid dog.

UPDATE
I think the dog survived. Did not see any carcass nearby and KL is not exactly famous for fast cleaning up.

2 comments:

  1. Your next paycheck will more than cover the cost of the car damage. With time, you'll forget about the cost of this incident, but the dog's injuries will stay with him. Since he was able to walk away, hopefully his injuries are not too severe.

    We always honk the car if there are any animals on the local streets. Birds are often run over in our area, as they stop in the middle of the road a lot. There's also deer crossing in our regional highways, but fortunately not near our area.

    You are lucky you did not have any bodily harm. My ex co-worker sustained a serious back injury when she hit a deer on the highway, which caused her to crash into a rail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your next paycheck will more than cover the cost of the car damage. With time, you'll forget about the cost of this incident, but the dog's injuries will stay with him. Since he was able to walk away, hopefully his injuries are not too severe.

    We always honk the car if there are any animals on the local streets. Birds are often run over in our area, as they stop in the middle of the road a lot. There's also deer crossing in our regional highways, but fortunately not near our area.

    You are lucky you did not have any bodily harm. My ex co-worker sustained a serious back injury when she hit a deer on the highway, which caused her to crash into a rail.

    ReplyDelete