Thursday, April 16, 2015

The curse of never ending cough

I have been sick for the past 10 days  and it was because of a cough. It started with fever, cold and sore throat, the 3 combo. Seen the doctor, got rid of 2, but the cough remains. Seen doctor twice more and all I got was more antibiotics and cough syrup. By this time whenever I lay my head on the pillow the coughing was so bad I could only sleep when sitting upright. At work my coughs were like rumbling thunder culminating in volcanic eruptions. I lost my voice for 3 days, my voice is still very strained and I had to take days off work for what people will think "Just cough what!". Try my cough! I never had it this bad and in the end western medicine could help me no more. I had to go to chinese TCM doctor and right now after herbal concoction of medicine, I am sweating like hell. I can speak after some good drink recommended by a friend which you must try if you lost your voice but the cough, whilst not violent anymore, remains and my voice still strained. I have 2 more dosage to go and I  believe I will be able to sing my soprano again. I just want the coughing to end. 

Anyway if you're like me, when after all the antibiotics and cough syrup and all that remains is the pesky thunderous cough with or without phlegm, it is time to visit the old man in the TCM shop selling sundry goods AND TCM medicine. Let him "listen" to your heartbeats and what nots. It will help. But if you still feel your throat is tight because it is infected, finish the antibiotics first. TCM is only when all that remains is the heatiness in your body, that pesky continuous coughing that if you cough it hurts, if you don't you feel like that will be the last thing you will ever do. I suddenly understand what it means to "cough till you cough out your lungs".

It is no joke. I don't recommend this way of getting sick. 

Anyway if you lost your voice, the following might help. It helped me a little.

Manuka honey in ginger water
Boil water with some sliced ginger (not too many slices or it will be too hot). Once boiled and the ginger's essence is extracted into the water, take out the ginger,  and let the ginger water cool. Once cooled, as in not boiling but not too not hot, I mean a bit hot but not too much, add manuka honey. Maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons, to lessen the ginger hotness and also for taste. Whilst a bit warm, sip on it throughout the day or night or whatever. You will find your voice again.

Oh lord, I am sweating so much right now thanks to the TCM medicine. My body is fighting the heatiness but at least cough is getting better.

Remember, when all that remains is a strained throat caused by excessive coughing and nothing else, visit that TCM shop. That's your only remedy and it ain't too expensive. Mine is RM16-00 per packet which can boil 2 bowls. It is always 2 packets for 4 dosages. With weird instructions like boil 4 bowls of water into 1 bowl. Thankfully my mom understands the cryptic instruction.

To those who thinks "It is just cough, can still work ma..." certainly never had a coughing fit like the one I described. I'd rather my employee take a day off or 2 and show up 100% fit than a half fit employee who cough cough cough for the sake of just full attendance. Life is more than about work and when evaluating your employee, think about that. Oh, air condition made my condition worse and which is why sometimes even if you take sick leave for a few days in a month, sometimes it is for good reason. But what do bosses know eh? They just want perfect attendance on the sheet when all they got is an employee who was so busy coughing no work was done and spreading germs to the office.

I spent so much on doctors in 2 weeks. This coughing is really expensive and health shattering. I hate losing my voice which is why I am ok with the sweating right now. Because my body is doing its job to combat the bad virus inside my body.

Body!! FIGHTING!!! ADD OIL!! KAMBATE!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Funn,
    It's all because of the weather... been through the combo package but my cough wasn't as bad as yours.It just lingered forever and i tried all the recommended methods/medicines .Lastly, feeling fed up,i drank whole glass of iced Coca-Cola....and it worked!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I have a sore throat, gargling my mouth with salt water always helped. It helps with coughs too. It's simple, but always works for me.

    I also keep a jar of pei pa herbal syrup in my refrigerator at all times, for emergency use. If I feel the first signs of soreness in my throat, taking the pei pa syrup early helps subside the symptoms.

    Here is the pei pa syrup I take:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa

    ReplyDelete